Five Florida teenagers (aged 16-19) were found dead in their hotel room Monday afternoon after a birthday party went tragically wrong. The teens had died from carbon monoxide poison in their sleep after they left the car running directly below their room overnight.

Look below for the full story is below:

“Apparently they all died peacefully, but it seems to lead to carbon monoxide poisoning,” said Hialeah Police spokesman Carl Zogby. Investigators discovered a Kia Optima parked in the adjoining garage was still running and a door leading inside the hotel room wasn’t completely closed. “The car was giving them problems,” a friend of the victims said. “I jumped the car last night before they came here — like an hour before they came here. That’s why they left the car running.”

Investigators said the five victims checked in Sunday night. Friends told Local 10 that 19-year-old Evan Charles, 19-year-old Junchen Martial, 17-year-old Peterson Nazon, 18-year-old Jonas Antenor and 16-year-old Jean Pierr Ferdinand were inseparable. They said the friends went up to Room 112 to celebrate Martial’s 19th birthday. A crowd gathered, and emotions ran high, as news spread about what happened to the teens, who according to investigators, appeared to be doing nothing wrong.

“There was no drug paraphernalia found in the room, no signs of alcohol, and no signs of trauma on any of the victims,” according to Caesar Espinosa with Hialeah Fire Rescue. All that was found in the room were bags of food from a fast food restaurant. The medical examiner will determine exact cause of death,” Espinosa said.

Such a sad story and a terrible way to end Christmas. RIP to those young men…

Be the first to receive breaking news alerts and more stories like this by subscribing to our mailing list.