Mathew Knowles‘ post-Destiny’s Child and Beyoncé life may have officially hit rock bottom. He’s reportedly unloading his longtime record label, Music World Entertainment.
The label had become more of a staple for gospel acts, most notably those who were winners on the BET gospel-themed singing competition, Sunday’s Best.
The grand prize of that show was a recording contract with Mathew’s label, however, BET ended their agreement with his company earlier this year. These days, the winners are signed to Kirk Franklin’s Fo Yo Soul Entertainment/RCA Inspiration.
Several major record executives confirmed again to us that representatives from their companies allegedly met with the 61-year-old label owner about potentially buying Music World, though no deals were made. Knowles’ desires to allegedly unload Music World could be why he’s filed suit against one of his top-selling artists Brian Courtney Wilson as a preventative measure to attempt to keep him on his roster.
A source familiar with the situation told AlwaysAList.com that Wilson’s contract with Music World had ended and the singer had begun entertaining offers from other music labels. Apparently, Knowles was unaware that Wilson’s deal with his label had lapsed and apparently filed suit to complicate the singer’s ability to entertain offers from other recording companies.
A music executive familiar with the scenario told us that the suit was simply a “stall tactic” done to convince Wilson to resign with Music World. Apparently, Wilson’s selling history had added-value for Knowles as he allegedly met with potential label buyers.
Wilson, “Sunday Best” winners Le’Andria Johnson, Amber Bullock and Joshua Rodgers, “Sunday Best” runner-up Alexis Spight, and Trin-I-Tee 5:7—who were able to abruptly get out of their deal last year—are the only artists on the Music World roster who have sold any units in recent years.
Y’all pray for Beyoncé’s daddy.