Solange Knowles Solange Knowles

Just so you know, we follow @solangeknowles on Twitter. Are you following us yet? Anyway, your girl Solange thought it’d be a good idea to pop a few flu pills to rid herself of the bug. She later realized she had taken too many, and before she knew it, she was surrounded by about 8 people in baggage claim at the airport.

We’re always checking for her updates on Twitter, and she often talks about how she doesn’t feel well, but she always makes her scheduled performances with ease. Talk about work ethic!

R&B star Solange Knowles was admitted to a hospital when she collapsed after downing flu pills on a flight out of New York on Tuesday night (Feb. 17th 2009). Beyonce’s younger sister was treated by medics after taking the capsules on board a plane and suffering an adverse reaction to the medication. Her muddled mental state was laid bare in a series of bizarre postings on social networking website which she uploaded during the journey. But three hours into the trip, her messages suddenly stopped after she complained of feeling sleepy – and three hours later she logged back on to the website to tell fans: “Woaah…… How’d I end up in the hospital?”

Knowles is believed to have been heading back to her home in Los Angeles after attending the opening of an Armani store in New York on Tuesday evening. In a series of Twitter postings during the flight, she told fans how she had swallowed NyQuil tablets to treat a cold. She wrote: “I took a nyquil and i think maybe im getting high off it because im not sleeping. maybe i should close my eyes…” Minutes later she added, “think im certified loosing (sic) it on nyquil. going to sleep before i start freestyling on the plane… omg (Oh my God) i didnt know nyquil could do this to you. i took the pills tho. cant stomach cough syrup. trying to be proactive on this flight.” She then added: “Never taking nyquil again. I feel so weird.”

The singer left further apparently random messages about various musicians and having “freezing” feet, before a break of three hours.
She then logged on again to tell how she had woken up on the floor of an airport surrounded by medics – but was later given the all-clear after her mother visited her in the hospital.

The star wrote: “Woaah…… How’d I end up in the hospital? Woke up to 8 random people over me, laid out on the floor in baggage claim!… Guess I passed out! Scary. Hooked up to IV now . Apparantly I’m super dehydrated. I’ve never passed out before. S**t was like the movies. People standing over me saying ‘hello’… My mom is the best. LOL (laugh out loud). She’s like ‘Ain’t nothing wrong with this girl, she need some water and rest… Pull up the car!’ LOL … I’m like still in shock. I’ve never passed out before. Think it was the nyquil too. I felt weird when I woke up. This has been the day from hell. I’m done with the second IV. I just want to get in the bed and lay with (son) Julez. That’s all I want.”

The singer later confirmed she had been released from hospital following treatment, writing: “I’m out! yay!… they let me go….. Rest. Water. Rest. Water.”


Damn, Solo! You gotta take it easy. Get well soon!

Be the first to receive breaking news alerts and more stories like this by subscribing to our mailing list.