Ashton Kutcher admits that he is no replacement for Charlie Sheen.
The 33-year-old star has been confirmed as the new lead star in the sitcom, and has vowed to “work [his] ass off” to make sure that the show continues to be a success.
“I can’t wait to get to work with this ridiculously talented 2.5 team and I believe we can fill the stage with laughter that will echo in viewers’ homes,” Kutcher said in a statement last week. “I can’t replace Charlie Sheen, but I’m going to work my ass off to entertain the hell out of people!”
Show creator and executive producer Chuck Lorre is thrilled that the hit comedy is now able to continue after its future was thrown into doubt following Charlie’s dismissal.
“We are so lucky to have someone as talented, joyful and just plain remarkable as Ashton joining our family,” Chuck said. “Added to that is the deep sigh of relief knowing that our family stays together. If I was any happier, it’d be illegal.”
Meanwhile, Charlie, who was fired back in March because of his erratic behavior, has taken a swipe at Ashton, insisting that he will not be able to attract the same demographic of viewers he did.
Charlie told TMZ: “Kutcher is a sweetheart and a brilliant comedic performer. Oh wait, so am I!! Enjoy the show America. Enjoy seeing a 2.0 in the demo every Monday, WB. Enjoy planet Chuck, Ashton. There is no air, laughter, loyalty, or love there.”
When the show returns for its next season, Ashton will be introduced as a new character, rather than a direct replacement for Charlie. Joining Kutcher will be returning stars John Cryer and Angus T. Jones.
The show will resume filming this summer.