Just last week, Wyclef Jean told CNN: “I can’t sing forever” after word got out that he might be running for president in his native Haiti. And now Haiti’s biggest representer has officially confirmed to the media that he is running for president of Haiti! He is due to officially announce his candidacy today, just a few days shy of Saturday’s deadline.
In a video posted to Time.com, Wyclef, 37, said the devastating earthquake that occurred in his homeland at the top of the year (that killed more than 200,000 people and left millions homeless) helped him make his decision:
“If not for the earthquake, I probably would have waited another 10 years before doing this. The quake drove home to me that Haiti can’t wait another 10 years for us to bring it into the 21st century. If I can’t take five years out to serve my country as president, then everything I’ve been singing about, like equal rights, doesn’t mean anything. My decision is a draft. I’ve been drafted by the youth.”
Jean says that he meets all of the qualifications required to run for president, including living in Haiti for at least 5 consecutive years. He also owns property there and has never been a citizen of another country (he’s considered a “resident” of the United States). In addition, his Yele Haiti Foundation has worked overtime this year to raise funds to assist the island nation with recovery efforts following the earthquake that pretty much wrecked the country.
So even though we wouldn’t say that he’s 100% “qualified” (with no political background), we don’t see why he can’t give it a shot! Let’s be real now, the country can’t get any worse…
He’s expected to announce his decision tonight on CNN‘s “Larry King Live” and the election is just a few months away (Nov 28).